Everything you need to know to study advertising in Madrid

It takes courage to leave your country, follow your passion and study what you are really passionate about but, above all, it takes information so as not to feel disoriented when you arrive in your new city. For this reason, we have decided to create this mega guide of useful tips for studying and working in Spain.

Advertising degrees and masters in Madrid

At a tourist level, Madrid is more than known, not only for its wide cultural offer (for which we would need to write an entire post) and how accessible it is to visit other cities in Spain and Eastern Europe, but as one of the most emblematic and safe in the world. But is Madrid the best option to study advertising? It is, and below we will tell you why.

The variety of academic offers in the advertising degree in Madrid

Choosing the center where you really want to study can become a nightmare. This becomes even more difficult if you want to study in Spain as a foreigner, since searching for information is very difficult from outside the country. But don't worry, here you can find out about university courses in Spain, and throughout this article we will tell you more about Advertising courses in Madrid.

In Madrid there are more than 30 universities, 7 public and more than 20 private, in addition to numerous private specialization schools. This means that the range of careers to study in Madrid knows no limits, and any motivation and aspiration is welcome in the city. If in your case you want to study Advertising, you can find more than 15 specialized centers, including universities and private study centers, specialized in advertising and creative studies.

Obtaining scholarships in Spain

There are scholarships to study in Spain as study aid for foreigners. Depending on the country, aid may vary, but you can consult the complete list of scholarships in Spain on the State Government website.


Procedures and requirements necessary to study a university degree in Spain as a foreigner

Documents necessary to study in Spain for people residing outside the EU

Foreign students who come to study in Spain from outside the EU need to complete certain procedures upon arrival in the country. But it is not a problem, since the steps are very simple and we will tell you about them below.

First of all, you will need a student visa. For this, you first have to go through the registration process to obtain the school admission certificate. With this document you will now be able to have access to your visa. You just have to contact the Spanish embassy/consulate in the country of origin. This procedure can be started 3 months before traveling to Spain and can take up to two months to process (we recommend checking with the embassy of your country to avoid confusion).


It is necessary apply for registration to receive your NIE and follow the steps indicated below:

Step 1: Once on the page, you must select the “Appointment Service” option and then click on “make an appointment.”
Step 2: Click on “Previous Appointment”.
Step 3: Select “Citizen Attention” and, in the Management section, select the “Register” option. Be sure to bring your identification document (ID or Passport), your housing contract and the registration form. It is also necessary to present a photocopy of your identity document and the housing contract for processing at the registration office.
Step 4: The next step is to select the registration office closest to your residence, and select a date and time that fit your availability.
Step 5: Finally, you will have to fill out a form with your personal information (name, surname, telephone number...) and you will receive a confirmation of your appointment. Make sure you arrive on time and don't miss your appointment!


For request your NIE You must have the following documents on hand (the originals and a copy of each to deliver to the office):

  • Your passport with your 90-day stay visa, along with the entry stamp to Spain.
  • The registration certificate with the bank seal, along with proof of payment of the registration fee or the admission letter from Miami Ad School. With these documents you certify that you have been admitted as a student at a study center.
  • Completed and printed EX-17 application form.
  • Registration flyer in Madrid.
  • 3 passport size photographs (32 x 26 mm).
  • Proof of payment of the Fee model 790 Code 012.

Step 1: You must make an appointment through the website to deliver your documents and register your fingerprint. To do this, you must enter the page immigration application and select Madrid in the drop-down list of available provinces and accept.
Step 2: Select “Police – fingerprinting (card issuance)” in the drop-down list of procedures available for the selected province.
Step 3: Select the date and time that best suits your schedule.
Step 4: Go to a collaborating bank office to pay the regularization fee for form 790 (012). You can always consult the list of collaborating entities and access the model form 790 (012).
Step 5: Attend the appointment in person and make sure you arrive on time. The Madrid Provincial Immigration and Border Brigade office is located at Avenida de los Poblados, s/n, 28027, Madrid. Opening hours are from 9am to 2pm. You can easily get there using public transportation:

  • Metro: Aluche stop (metro line 5).
  • Bus: lines 121, 131, 138, 139 and 155.

Within a period of around 40 days they will notify you so that you can collect your NIE. From that moment, you will receive the identification card that authorizes you to reside in Spain as a foreign resident.


Documents necessary to study in Spain for people residing within the EU

As a European student who wants to study in Spain, you do not need to register as a resident during the first three months, although you can do so if you prefer. After this time, it becomes necessary. The requirements to study in Spain in this case are:

  • Be enrolled in a recognized educational center.
  • Present proof of full health coverage through medical insurance. In this regard, we recommend applying for and receiving the European Health Card before leaving your country of origin.
  • Declaration that your resources are sufficient to be able to live in Spain without financial aid (the origin of the resources is irrelevant).

The lifestyle in Madrid for foreign students

Best areas to live if you are a student in Madrid

Our school is located in the center of the Spanish capital, in the University area, located right next to Malasaña, one of the perfect neighborhoods to grow culturally, dine, eat, go out or simply be on a terrace in the sun. We recommend living in the most central neighborhoods if it is in your power, since they are close to any activity and you can even save on public transportation, since you can walk anywhere.

In addition to the University area, we also have the Chamberí neighborhood nearby. The neighborhoods of Gaztambide, Arapiles and Trafalgar are close to our area. They are quieter and more economical neighborhoods, especially family-friendly. In them you can find everything: supermarkets, small shops, pharmacies, clothing stores, gyms, metro stops, etc., and you are only a 20-minute walk from Gran Vía.

How did you have fun in Madrid if you are a foreigner?

Madrid has many leisure options, from cinemas, to theater, concerts, exhibitions, museums... A good way to find out about everything that happens in the cultural life of Madrid is to consult the Leisure Guide. To know where you can go out to dinner and party in Madrid, you can consult numerous pages. This one that we provide you is quite complete, although you will have to be the one to refine the search, trying and sticking with the one you like the most.

Tips and keys for foreigners who come and study in Madrid

Where to look for student accommodation in Madrid

You can find infinite possibilities to live in Madrid. Here we give you several options that could help you find your perfect accommodation.


Company specialized in temporary accommodation. It is ideal to rent a very well-equipped, new apartment not far from the school. They give you the option of renting the kitchenware and hiring weekly cleaning. It can be rented even for less than a month, although in that case an additional charge would apply. You will find more information on their website (www.proinca.es).


They offer accommodation in apartments with students, in apartments with families and in complete apartments or studios. The apartments are usually for three people. The minimum duration is one month, from April to August, and three months, if it is between September and March. The maximum duration is one year, although successive contracts can be made. Each new contract has a discount from 40%.


The websites we list below are quite useful for finding a room in a shared apartment or a complete apartment, furnished or unfurnished. You can select the search parameters according to your needs:


Santa Cruz Hostel

It is next to the school, but they are shared rooms between 6 people. It's very affordable, although you have to like the atmosphere of a Youth Hostel. It is an option to land in Madrid and look for an apartment from here.

Cat's Hostel

A very particular hostel with a lot of charm in the Madrid neighborhood of Lavapiés, where all kinds of cultures mix. You have from double rooms with individual bathrooms to shared rooms for 4 to 12 people.


Nexus Residences

There is also the possibility of living in student residences. Although many times residences are more expensive than apartments. If you want to live in residence and with great qualities, here you will find several options.


If you need to stay in a hotel while you look for accommodation, or family comes to see you, these are the best websites to compare, find and book, even from your mobile:


To advise you and help you better find your perfect accommodation, at Miami Ad School we have a Facebook group for Housing with information for those who are looking for rental apartments in Madrid.


Types of transport to get around Madrid

Getting around Madrid, especially in the center, is not complicated. In fact, the metro network is especially good and you can go practically anywhere.


Ticket prices usually rise every year, but approximately these are the current prices:

  • Single ticket: between €1.5 and €2.
  • 10 trip voucher: €12.20
  • Airport supplement: €3
  • Madrid Transport Pass (monthly): €20 if you are under 26 years old. Prices are subject to areas. Normally, the most used area is zone A (center), which is the cheapest.


There are countless options in this case. You can take a taxi on the street at any time and ask it to take you to your destination, although in these cases it will be quite difficult to anticipate the price of the trip. Through the Freenow, Cabify and Uber applications, you can order and reserve taxi services (Freenow) and VTC (Concerted Transportation Vehicles – Cabify and Uber) with an approximate budget of what the trip will cost.


If what you really want is to have your private rental vehicle, in Madrid you will find several options. On the one hand, you can opt to rent two-seater electric cars, either through the Car2go, Emov or Zity mobile applications, or through their respective websites. On the other hand, there are bicycle and electric scooter rental services, for those who do not have a driving license or are more in favor of this means of transport.


Means of Transport to travel through Spain

If Madrid has something that no one can deny, it is contact with all parts of Spain and the vast majority of European countries. Communication is quite simple internally, but we leave you some information in case you have never had the need to look for means of transport within Spain.


The railway company in Spain is RENFE. They cover the entire Spanish territory, both for traveling to other communities in Spain and for traveling within the Community of Madrid through the Cercanías service. As an alternative to the plane, the AVE (high-speed train) is an excellent way to travel around Spain. Prices vary depending on distance and date, although the high-speed option is usually significantly more expensive.


It is another option to move around Spain. It usually takes longer than the conventional train, and of course longer than the AVE, but the prices are cheaper and they are usually the only option to reach the most remote places in Spain. In this case we have two options: ALSA and ADVANCE BUS, both with similar characteristics, although the routes are not the same in each of the companies.


If the budget is tight, a great way to travel is to do it by carpooling, joining a trip that someone else has already organized. In this case we have two mobile applications that work really well: Blablacar and Amovens. This way, you save money and have the chance to meet a lot of people. You can travel both as a passenger and as a driver with your own car if you publish the trip from your account.


This service, unlike the previous ones and due to security measures for the company and customers, has a requirement: you must have a driving license for at least 5 years prior to the date of renting the vehicle. Conditions may change depending on the company. However, if you need to rent a car and meet the requirements, you can access the websites of Pepecar, Avis either Sixt. You can also rent a car through the Amovens mobile application, as this application offers both car sharing and rental car services.

At Miami Ad School Madrid we always try to make the adaptation of our international students to Spain as pleasant as possible. It doesn't matter if they want to stay with us for a long time, because they visit us in their Quarter Away from other schools in the network as part of their Portfolio Program. If you have any questions about the programs that you can study at our school or think that we have left out any important information, do not hesitate to contact us and we will be happy to help you.

Did you find the article interesting?

Leave a Comment